Thread: Coburn
View Single Post
Old
03-18-2013, 10:14 PM
WeekendAtBernies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Playing well for 25 percent or even half of the season simply isn't good enough. He hasn't even been asked to be the number one defenseman this year either. He's been on the second pair with Grossman. Timonen still plays a much larger role for them, and Schenn has even done more than him. I'm over waiting for Coburn to put it all together.

Mez has also been terrible... no argument from me here. He shouldn't be playing if he's injured, and if he's healthy, then he's just been brutal.

It doesn't really matter though, neither guy is going anywhere. We have no one ready to replace them from within the system. We also can't afford to move any roster pieces to replace them because we have nobody to replace those guys from the prospect system.
I'm not defending Coburn's play this year, he's been terrible... but he has easily been our #1 defenseman if you look at the role he has been playing. Yes Timonen has a marginally higher Corsi Rel QoC and so does Luke Schenn, but Coburn dominates Timonen and Schenn in terms of Even Strength TOI and Short-Handed TOI. Coburn is getting the toughest minutes for this team.

I definitely disagree with the decision to use him the way Lavi has, but the facts are that Coburn is playing the most minutes and the most difficult defensive minutes. And if you're going to trash his play (and he definitely deserves some criticism), he deserves to at least be treated fairly with the proper facts being reported about the difficulty of his role this year.

Coburn is a really good #3/#4 defenseman, maybe even #2 if he's paired with a great #1, but he's not a guy who can anchor a pairing / team.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote