Thread: Coburn
View Single Post
Old
03-18-2013, 10:20 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
I'm not defending Coburn's play this year, he's been terrible... but he has easily been our #1 defenseman if you look at the role he has been playing. Yes Timonen has a marginally higher Corsi Rel QoC and so does Luke Schenn, but Coburn dominates Timonen and Schenn in terms of Even Strength TOI and Short-Handed TOI. Coburn is getting the toughest minutes for this team.

I definitely disagree with the decision to use him the way Lavi has, but the facts are that Coburn is playing the most minutes and the most difficult defensive minutes. And if you're going to trash his play (and he definitely deserves some criticism), he deserves to at least be treated fairly with the proper facts being reported about the difficulty of his role this year.

Coburn is a really good #3/#4 defenseman, maybe even #2 if he's paired with a great #1, but he's not a guy who can anchor a pairing / team.
I'm not denying that he's been handed a tough role, but that's what comes with his salary. Plus, he's shown at times that he's capable of fulfilling that role in previous years. He just hasn't shown any consistency which is frustrating. He's not a young guy anymore, and he needs to either get it together or be moved. He can't be called a top four guy in any regards if he's only going to do it for small stretches at a time.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote