Thread: Coburn
View Single Post
Old
03-19-2013, 12:31 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
That's what comes w/ his salary? Nicklas Grossmann showed the ability to be a decent/good defenseman in Orange and Black for what? Less than half a year? And he got 3.5M per year over 4 years. I don't understand how all these expectations come with Coburn's 4.5M salary.

I totally agree that he's played like crap this year, but acting like because he gets paid 4.5M per year he should be some all world defenseman is a little disingenuous. 4.5M isn't that much. If you look at others with comparable cap hits, you'll see some better (Bieksa, Hamhuis), some worse (Ballard, Komisarek, Garrison), and similar (Martin, Hainsey). 4.5M is about fair IMO for the type of player Coburn has been these past few years. At some points he's looked like he's worth more than 4.5M and at some points he's looked like he's worth less, but all in all the reason why Coburn is only paid 4.5M instead of a higher salary in because of that inconsistency.

For all of that "inconsistency" though, there's been very few points in his career where he's looked like a 3rd pairing D. Even right now, I think he'd look a whole lot better if you dialed his minutes back to Grossmann type minutes (roughly 4 less minutes per game) and put him out there regularly against an opponent's 2nd and 3rd lines instead of consistently matching him up w/ an opponents 1st and 2nd lines.

Again, he's been terrible this year, but I think there's way too much piling on Coburn right now. The cap hit argument isn't really a good/fair one IMO. If we're criticizing anyone for their production relative to cap hit, we should be going after Meszaros.
Grossman isn't expected to be the two way guy like Coburn is though. I'm not saying Coburn should be a forty point guy, because he can't, but he has to be better when handling the puck. Grossman has consistently made better decisions with both the first pass and in the offensive zone. And that's not even what Grossman is known for. That doesn't even bring up the fact that Coburn has routinely been brutal in his own zone and has taken a bunch of horrible minors as a result of bad positioning.

Those guys in Coburn's price range, outside of Komisarek and Ballard (two of the worst contracts in the league btw), are all asked to play in a role pretty similar to what Coburn is asked to do for the Flyers. All of the others have also out performed him terribly this year. Hell, Paul Martin has been flat out fantastic, and a lot of people consider Hamhuis just as important as Edler to Vancouver.

Look I'm not saying a player always has to outperform or even always play up to his contract. It's partially Homer's fault for giving a deal like that to a player who has proven to be wildly inconsistent in the past, but should we not expect a little more than the same level of player that we've seen since he was the steal of the century nearly seven years ago? Or should we just expect that Coburn will always be a number four that's paid like a number two, and is overwhelmed anytime he gets assignments above a second pair guy?

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote