View Single Post
Old
03-19-2013, 08:04 AM
GuelphStormer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
Not implausible at all... but a) why would Seattle be willing to meet the NHL's inflated price if PKP isn't? And b) why would Columbus have more clout than Quebec City? My memory might be faulty, but I seem to remember seeing the most recent revenue figures and 6 of the top 7 teams were Canadian (NYR being the other and Winnipeg still being represented with Atlanta's numbers). So that might well mean 8 of the top 9 highest grossing teams being Canadian including Quebec and Winnipeg - the league would be willing to sacrifice that just to snub their nose at PKP/not piss off Columbus?
and given that no clear ownership group has emerged in seattle, let alone one with demonstrated and sufficient operating capital to cover what would have to be 8 figure losses for two to four years, it's wishful thinking to suggest seattle has any advantage over QC, even if PKP wants to play hardball with the purchase price (which, from what I can tell, is a suggestion that has no basis in fact).

one could look at it another way, PKP refused to take the team this year given the uncertainty of the lockout, and insisted that the league cover losses in phoenix. knowing that nothing is likely to change in phoenix next year and losses will rack up, and knowing that there exists no other immediately viable relocation site other than hamilton, the nhl was willing to accept PKP's terms and let him have the team at the end of this season.

other than it actually owning the team now, im not sure why people seem to think the nhl has so much leverage here. im seeing it as the direct opposite. it has now run out of realistic options for the team and must move it. and seattle is simply not a viable immediate relocation site, so the only two options are QC and hamilton, and QC seems to have the advantage because PKP is standing by with a wad of cash and a brand new arena being built.