View Single Post
Old
03-19-2013, 08:13 AM
DoggyII

vCash: 500
Solution to Phoenix...

So the other night, my wife says to me (and I paraphrase): the league owns the Coyotes and can't find someone to own it to keep it in Phoenix. The other owners are basically paying to keep this team afloat and aren't getting any benefit from it. Why not just change the schedule...make them play all 82 games on the road (like the Harlem Globetrotters) and at least other owners in the league can get some extra ticket sales out of the deal. Certainly Phoenix will draw better in LA, Anaheim San Jose and Dallas.

Now...she was just kidding but it got me thinking.

Instead of one home town...let's give them four home towns. The NHL can do a "Survivor NHL City". Set up the club to play ten home games in Phoenix, ten in Houston, ten in Kansas City and ten in Seattle (or Portland or Vegas or Salt Lake City or wherever the NHL is interested in out West).

They change the name to the Western (Road) Warriors.

Over a a three year period where each year NHL fans (or owners or whatever criteria they want to use)...one city gets voted off. At the end of the third year, the NHL may have found none, one or maybe two viable cities. The negotiations begin in earnest between the two surviving cities and the NHL pulla a Winnipeg where they force season ticket holders in the winning city to commit to five years in order to secure the franchise.

Boom...NHL probably has good revenue for three years (plus the following five) with cities competing against each other (can't be much worse than what Phoenix does right now), an owner who knows what he will be getting plus a big commitment from fans so the franchise sale price should be higher.

Sorry...just trying to think outside the box for a ridiculous situation that has gone on so long and still seems to have no end in sight.