Old
03-19-2013, 09:54 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Two years takes him to his age 20 season. That's when Malkin came over and ahead of Tarasenko and Kuznetsov. He's not ready next year, so basically you're waiting on one year. There's always going to be the "Russian Factor" with Russian players. You have to do your homework. That said, he should be in the discussion. Not saying he should be the pick but to talk about taking guys like Monahan, Ristolainen, Zadaorov, Lindholm and not even have him in the discussion just doesn't seem right. He's a cut above those guys if we're talking strictly hockey.
I think it is reasonable to leave him out of the discussion when you are talking about the draft though. Strictly hockey he may be better, but draft-wise he may be riskier. Whether it is a fair characterization or not, people are wary of drafting Russian players, especially ones who they are concerned may not be willing to come to NA. I know it would worry me as a GM. If a Swede had a two year contract in the SEL I wouldn't be concerned. But a Russian with a two year contract in the KHL is very worrisome if I am using a high first round pick on him. Obvisouly if the guy is a can't miss prospect that would alleviate some of that worry, but I think it is perfectly reasonable to have those concerns.