View Single Post
Old
03-19-2013, 09:50 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post
You guys are just naive. Kane and Toews aren't taking $1.5m pay cuts just to play for a winner. If they perceive themselves as top 10-15 players in the world (as they should), they are going to feel like they should be paid as such.

Fact is, Sharp deal looks kind of awful right now. That's a guy they should have let go to UFA but he was coming off a couple of great seasons. And they can't trade him either because of his NMC.

The Perry & Getzlaf deals seem to be significant overpays of ~$1m/year considering they were not UFA. HOWEVER, if that's what we have to set the market for Kane/Toews, consider this...

Perry & Getz are having bounceback seasons, sure, but they are both coming off very mediocre seasons (for them). Kane and Toews are also set to hit FA a couple years younger than those two, as well, and are having career years right now. So to me, the Perry & Getzlaf deals would be the equivalent of taking a pay cut for 19 & 88.
Unless the cap goes up a ton (and it very well might), some difficult decisions would have to be made. I'd just keep all of the stars and go with near minimum salary guys on 3rd pairing D, most of the bottom 6 and even in net.

I love Crawford but I think the team would be better off just signing/trading for cheap salary goalies for both spots and go through them like toilet paper year to year than losing stars like Hossa, Bolland and Sharp.