Old
03-19-2013, 11:11 AM
Winger98
powers combined

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
There's bigger and then there's taller. Taller gives you a longer reach and makes protecting the puck and poking the puck away easier. It can be a huge advantage.
there's an advantage to just being thicker, though, too. I think you're better able to take some of that beating, and to give it back. If Homer is two inches shorter and twenty pounds lighter, I don't think he is able to take nearly the beating that he absorbed in his career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Abby sure, I can give you that. I guess he "finishes his hits" (not like Tootoo does, but whatever), but expecting either Abby or Cleary to win a battle for the puck and do something useful with it if they do win that battle (which doesn't really happen all that often) is akin to expecting Holland to make a blockbuster trade.
That line was ugly, but I think those two got a disproportionate amount of flak at a time when most of the team was imploding. No one called out Z's line for not producing. the blueline wasn't generating offense. The powerplay wasn't generating offense. And we were playing each of our bottom lines like 10 minutes a night.

With Abby, though, it's a new role for him at a time where we didn't have a lot of wiggle room for learning on the job. He's not my ideal guy for that spot, and I'd much rather have Gus or Tatar next to D and Franzen, but that doesn't appear too likely to happen. We may as well give Gator some time there with a better team around him and see what happens. Guys like Homer and Lapointe weren't great at that sort of job when they started either. Maybe Abdelkader grows into it.

with Cleary, I think he's just done being a top6 player. To be successful, he's had to force his body to do things that it really just wasn't built to do - play a big body game in the NHL. If we can bump him down now to ~13 minutes a night on the third line, I think he can be an asset. The days of playing 17 minutes a night in every situation and grinding out goals are just over. He doesn't have it physically in him any more.