2013-14 Flyers Overhaul
View Single Post
03-19-2013, 11:13 AM
Jack de la Hoya
Join Date: Jun 2011
Since I'm apparently getting nothing done today anyway, let me take a crack at this....
This is a fairly conservative plan. Nothing sexy. Most of the deals have been discussed at some level on the trade forum or here, and the big two have had at least one fan from the opposing team indicate interest.
- Trade Briere for a late 1st (BOS or ANA) or Bishop + Noesen / 2nd (OTT)
- Trade Meszaros to WPG for a 2nd or Paul Postma
- Trade Fedotenko for a 3rd (no source, but reasonable)
- Re-sign Gagne (conservative guess, 2 years @ $3 AAV, though I'd hope for less)
That's my starting point
- I'm struggling to see the next step if we buy out Bryzgalov. Signing Nick Backstrom (G) @ roughly the same cap hit seems counterproductive long-term. I think it is more likely that they go with Bryzgalov again next year, acquiring a young (perhaps RFA) goalie to compete with him and provide the organization with another option going forward.
- If we do what I've sketched above, we would clearly need another defenseman. If we draft Jones, I think he makes the team. If we don't, we will need to sign someone or (if we end up drafting an elite C) trade from an area of strength to fill the hole.
If the trade options above were all open to me and if we had the #1 or #2 pick and could draft Jones, I think I'd lean toward
- Briere + 2013 4th (PHX) for Bishop + Noesen
- Mezsaros for 2013 2nd (WPG) (they have their own, CHI, and a compensatory pick in the 2nd round)
- Send Laughton back to juniors.
- Sign a veteran winger to fill the 2nd-line spot, drop Read to 3RW, and drop Talbot to 4C. I've ear-marked $3 million, but depending on the quality of player, there's more available.
That would leave:
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Veteran Winger ($3.000m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Simon Gagne ($3.000m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Tye McGinn ($0.775m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Seth Jones ($1.700m)
Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m) / Erik Gustafsson ($0.900m)
Bruno Gervais ($0.825m) / Chris Pronger ($4.936m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Ben Bishop ($1.250m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,562,381; BONUSES: $2,800,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $5,537,619
- S. Laughton (C)
- S. Noesen (RW)
- S. Gostisbehere (D)
- A. Stolarz (G)
- Best available @ ~ 31st-32nd overall (PHI)
- Best available @ ~ 45th overall (WPG)
- Best available @ ~ 62nd-63rd (PHI)
This scenario provides a reasonably strong core going forward, and leaves ample cap space for short-term fixes and long-term re-signings. It also wouldn't (necessarily) require the Flyers to LTIR Pronger for the entire season. But it is heavily dependent on drafting Jones.
If we end up with one of the elite forwards, then I'd explore a trade option. If Vancouver would really entertain (as some of their fans have suggested) a Coburn + Laughton for Edler + framework, I think I'd prefer that to a deal that gives up Couturier.
Timonen - Schenn
Edler - Grossmann
____ - Gustafsson / etc.
Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 03-19-2013 at
Jack de la Hoya
View Public Profile
Jack de la Hoya's albums
Find More Posts by Jack de la Hoya