View Single Post
Old
03-19-2013, 11:14 AM
tjs252

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
I get what you’re saying, but the consensus here is that we need players that are tough and physical, who can also score. I would only want Gaborik moved in the right deal. A smart move could set up the Rangers so that they aren’t “dog crap” in 2015, which by the way I don’t see happening anyway. We have a strong young defense, a good scoring core developing around and all world goalie, yet in 2 years we turn to **** according to you?

Gaborik will eventually regain his scoring touch, but will it be too late this season? Will he start off great next season and succumb to another injury in a full 82g season, limping again into the post season? You have to take this into consideration.
Callahan, Lundqvist, Girardi, Gaborik will all be UFAs, Richards will likely be gone, and we don't know what will happen with Stepan, Hagelin, or McDonagh as their RFA status this offseason clouds that. I'd assume we keep all of them, but that further shrinks the amount of space to keep the "key" FAs. To reiterate, the only certainties for 2014/15 are Staal, Kreider, Miller, Nash (and I guess technically Richards). That's not a good looking team. It's a worse looking team if we perpetuate the Torts "win 2-1 at all costs" system.

There's a dearth of scoring talent in the organization. The Rangers, starting in 2014 are going to have a lot of holes to fill, and, after keeping their own UFAs with the shrunken cap, not a lot of space with which to do fill them. This team is built to win now, and it's going to be a smoldering scorched earth mess by 2014. Trading Gaborik hurts our chances to win it all this year or next, and it doesn't fix the doomsday we have coming in 2 years. It's a lose-lose. I'm actually stunned so many are advocating it.