View Single Post
Old
03-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
Callahan, Lundqvist, Girardi, Gaborik will all be UFAs, Richards will likely be gone, and we don't know what will happen with Stepan, Hagelin, or McDonagh as their RFA status this offseason clouds that. I'd assume we keep all of them, but that further shrinks the amount of space to keep the "key" FAs. To reiterate, the only certainties for 2014/15 are Staal, Kreider, Miller, Nash (and I guess technically Richards). That's not a good looking team. It's a worse looking team if we perpetuate the Torts "win 2-1 at all costs" system.

There's a dearth of scoring talent in the organization. The Rangers, starting in 2014 are going to have a lot of holes to fill, and, after keeping their own UFAs with the shrunken cap, not a lot of space with which to do fill them. This team is built to win now, and it's going to be a smoldering scorched earth mess by 2014. Trading Gaborik hurts our chances to win it all this year or next, and it doesn't fix the doomsday we have coming in 2 years. It's a lose-lose. I'm actually stunned so many are advocating it.
On a more serious note, you could be alot worse off than having a good team in a tough cap position.

I mean, what is the downside if we in the summer of 15' is forced to trade Marc Staal? What do we stand to loose?

Boston got into cap-hell [sic] and got Seguin and Hamilton out of it.