View Single Post
Old
03-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
So you are just dealing with hypothetical scenarios. Pronger's cap space can be replaced. So who are they going to replace Bryzgalov and Briere with if they buy them out? Pietrangelo going to play the 2nd line and in net? I'd love to see them offer sheet Pietrangelo while also trying to sign Giroux, Schenn and Couturier to extensions next season. Good luck with that.
I... I just don't get it.

Look at the roster I posed above.

Would there be long-term issues? Sure. At minimum, after the 2013-2014 season, the Flyers would have to use a compliance buy-out on Bryzgalov (for Giroux's raise) and let Gagne and Talbot walk (to pay Couturier and Schenn (who's cap hit is currently listed at $3.1 AAV on capgeek, so he won't be getting a massive raise from that in terms of cap space).

Pronger goes on perpetual LTIR, which hinders the team's flexibility during the offseason because they effectively lose the cushion, and the team would need to find yet another solution in goal with Pronger's money.

Would the Flyers deal with those issues to have a franchise-caliber defenseman? Gladly.

But Pietrangelo will never make it that far. I just wanted to demonstrate that the Flyers have plenty of potential cap space.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 03-19-2013 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Corrected re: the compliance buyout on injured players.
Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote