03-19-2013, 12:28 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I... I just don't get it.

Look at the roster I posed above.

Would there be long-term issues? Sure. At minimum, after the 2013-2014 season, the Flyers would have to use a compliance buy-out on Pronger (for Giroux's raise) and let Gagne and Talbot walk (to pay Couturier and Schenn (who's cap hit is currently listed at $3.1 AAV on capgeek, so he won't be getting a massive raise from that in terms of cap space).

Would the Flyers deal with those issues to have a franchise-caliber defenseman? Gladly.

But Pietrangelo will never make it that far. I just wanted to demonstrate that the Flyers have plenty of potential cap space.
You need to brush up on the rules. This summer is the last opportunity teams will have to use a compliance buyout. You can't buyout an injured player, so your fantasy scenario doesn't fly with Pronger's contract magically disappearing. He's a 35+ contract. Best they could do is LTIR on him, but they're stuck paying him.

Let's say best case scenario, they sign Giroux at $8M per season, because I don't see him getting anything less given that the max they can give him is 8 years. That's adding $4M+ in cap space, which isn't too big of a dent considering all of the players the Flyers have coming off the books in 2014. But those UFA players in 2014 are largely insignificant, and they'll have 10 contracted players on the roster for 2014, not including their RFAs that will have to be signed. That's a lot of holes to fill on their roster.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote