View Single Post
Old
03-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Frenzy1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Did you read any of the subsequent posts in the thread?

That capgeek number includes Briere and Bryzgalov (either or both of whom could be bought out) as well as Pronger, who will got on LTIR at the start of next season (so he cancels out the 10 percent offseason cushion).

There are many reasons that an OS won't work, but lack of cap space isn't one of them.
But real dollars will.
EDIT: It isn't even that hard, and it can be done without buying out Bryzgalov or LTIRing Pronger.

- Buy-out Briere.
- Trade Meszaros to anyone for anything. A 2nd is reasonable, a 3rd is cheap.
- Re-sign Gagne (even assuming he gets the same, 3.5 AAV)
- Sign a backup goalie @ $900k

N.B. I'm not saying this will happen. It won't. The Flyers will not successfully O.S. Pietrangelo. But it won't be because they lack the cap space. The Blues are a very good franchise on the rise. They will get their franchise player signed.
It is very easy to say buy player X out. But not so much on players with long term deals because you are really looking at large $$$. Briere would be 2/3 of 13 million. Bryz.. he is a tad more then that.

In Briere are essentially paying him 9 million to play somewhere else (and he can sign anywhere at a discount). Same with Bryz, but larger $$$. I have a hard time seeing a team give up 10 million per to players playing for a rival.

I get that Phili has large money available, but you are starting to look at way too much money for no return. It is fun to talk about, but man does that hurt.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote