View Single Post
Old
03-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
You need to brush up on the rules. This summer is the last opportunity teams will have to use a compliance buyout. You can't buyout an injured player, so your fantasy scenario doesn't fly with Pronger's contract magically disappearing. He's a 35+ contract. Best they could do is LTIR on him, but they're stuck paying him.

Let's say best case scenario, they sign Giroux at $8M per season, because I don't see him getting anything less given that the max they can give him is 8 years. That's adding $4M+ in cap space, which isn't too big of a dent considering all of the players the Flyers have coming off the books in 2014. But those UFA players in 2014 are largely insignificant, and they'll have 10 contracted players on the roster for 2014, not including their RFAs that will have to be signed. That's a lot of holes to fill on their roster.
Fair enough on Pronger. I missed that.

Then they compliance buyout Brzgalov, LTIR Pronger, and have even more cap space, albeit with a hole in net.

Look, I get your point--such a drastic play would create long-term issues for the franchise. But it isn't impossible--it isn't really even that close to impossible--to create the cap space for such an offer sheet. That was my point.

It's all academic, because Pietrangelo will never hit the market.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote