Old
03-19-2013, 12:36 PM
Winger98
powers combined

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
I'm trying to figure out how Gator scored 24 goals in Grand Rapids.

It's time to let the Lapointe comparisons go away.
Lapointe was 22 the year he scored 16 goals. He put up 4 15-17 goal seasons in a row before breaking loose with 27.

Lapointe had a hard slapshot and a great wrist shot. He wasn't the brightest bulb in the box, but he had some offensive instincts.

I think Frk is more like Lapointe than Abdelkader is/was.

Abs is missing stick skills. He's got a weak shot. He's got a slow release. he doesn't appear to have hand-eye to deflect pucks. I just don't see offense in his game.
The same way Mursak did

Gator seems willing to work his butt off and get his nose dirty. I think he has the ability to get better at the board battles, but it's something we'll have to suffer through until it gets there. And just being willing to go to the net and whack away and get whacked can be enough to be useful. At the same time, he's 26 now. that ship might have sailed.

If we'd have pushed him into this sort of role two years ago, maybe he could have become another Mike Grier.

edit: to go along with Grier, both of his 20 goal seasons came before Gator's current age. as we know, goal scoring/points tend to peak early, in the early-mid20s for most players. Now, an exception can probably be made for guys like Brunner and Franzen, who played until later ages in other men's leagues, but I have to wonder how much of a knock Gator's late age could be against him ever developing scoring skills beyond what he has now.