View Single Post
Old
03-19-2013, 01:20 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Well, you've got a fair point there, and I wasn't implying there is one. I just threw that in, because that's one of the things often leveled at them, and is about as true as labelling the Flyers' fanbase as bandwagoners (or tankers or ...). But just ignore it.

What is tanking if not wanting the team to purposely lose games then? If they give their all and lose, that's not tanking, that's losing. And I wouldn't trade for pieces, either, but that's not tanking.
Ok maybe I should restate the way I feel.

I don't want my team to purposely lose games, but since this team is already going nowhere as is (this season at least) I honestly believe we should sell off the pieces that are hindering us. Guys like Briere, Meszaros, Coburn, Fedotenko and grab as many pieces for the future as possible. 1sts etc.

Now, that would probably mean throwing the season away, knowingly. But there is a stark difference between that and purposely losing games. But only to accomplish getting strong pieces including a potential franchise defenseman to make the team, ultimately, better than they are now.

That might be a different philosophy than "tanking", but honestly, I don't see why it's so frowned upon. It's not like the team started the season saying "ok, we're going to finish last this season so we can snatch up Seth jones". No, the team has just been awful

My philosophy in short:
We are not making the playoffs anyway, so we might as well sell off pieces that could help us attain young players and futures to make this team more successful in the future, because I don't see anything changing otherwise.

I actually think that shows MORE loyalty, because it suggests that I'd be willing to watch every game for as long as it takes and suffer through growing pains to see my team succeed in the future. I just don't see anything wrong with that.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote