View Single Post
Old
03-19-2013, 01:20 PM
the1jasontaylor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
Nice work. I enjoyed reading that, and look forward to anything similar you write for other teams. I personally would've put the Gilmour trade at #1, as I think that was the pivotal deal that finally turned things around for the franchise.

Of course, the best Toronto trade of all-time was getting Ted Kennedy from Montreal for Frank Eddolls.
Thanks for the feedback! I assumed a lot of people would feel the same about Gilmour, and that trade did single-handedly bring the franchise back to a respectability it hadn't had since Sittler was dealt. But Sundin was such a good player over a very long period of time. Still, it's nice to be able to even have that debate; some other franchises don't even have ONE trade with that kind of impact, never mind two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Ya, I echo reckonings sentiments & opinion, Kennedy trade, but of course not exactly modern era. Very well documented & written, great pictures. As a Leafs fan since the early 60's & general observer, Id say you pretty much nailed it....

oh, and Welcome to hfBoards!
Many thanks! I considered including some Original Six trades, but I almost consider pre-1967 NHL hockey to be a different sport, never mind a different era. It's tough to look back at the six-team league and reconcile it with the post-expansion era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It's a shame that the Bryan Berard for Felix Potvin deal didn't have the opportunity to pan out as one of the greatest steals in franchise history. Potvin was in rapid decline and Berard just had all the tools...
That injury stole so much momentum from the Leafs. They were turning into a VERY fun-to-watch run-and-gun team. Berard combining with McCabe and Kaberle on the blueline to feed pucks to Sullivan, Sundin and Mogilny would've made the team a lot more exciting (and successful).

the1jasontaylor is offline   Reply With Quote