View Single Post
03-19-2013, 02:15 PM
100% Less Babcock
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
you said teams "shouldnt pay stupid money for players."

that means you feel the Ducks paid stupid money for getzlaf and perry as both getzlaf and perry are players and the ducks just paid them.

what would you do as the ducks GM?
You are correct in reading that I would not have given both Getzlaf and Perry $8.25m and $8.625m respectively for 8 years (both with NMCs according to CapGeek). I think it's ridiculous to tie up ~25% of the Cap for the near future in TWO players.

That being said, in the case of the Ducks, I definitely agree that their hands (or wings?) were tied. Would I have offered them the contracts they got? No. I would have offered a smaller number ($7.5m max) for the max amount of years; I MIGHT have given one of them one of those contracts, but not both.

Whether or not that would have flown (pun intended?), well, who knows.

if this summer datsyuk and zetterberg were both 26/27 and ufa's would you let them walk? its all great to say no sign them for less but that only happens if they take less then the market dicactes they're worth and that rarely happens around the nhl. guys like perry and getzlaf and suter and parise and weber get paid and paid well.
It's definitely a tough choice, and I don't envy the decisions Front Offices have to make sometimes (though they do get paid REALLY well to let criticisms roll of their backs). Hindsight is always 20/20, and in retrospect, again, it would have been a tough choice; for me, if all things were equal, I would have let Zetterberg walk and kept Datsyuk (always liked Datsyuk from the first time I saw him play), and tried to find a comparable via free agency or trade. It might have been a poor choice, or a great one, but we'll never know.

this isnt arguementative by any strech just was looking for more clairty is all
And I apologize for jumping all over you earlier -- and that mini-rant wasn't directed solely at you... there's just been too much "attacking" lately, and it's wearing VERY thin.

Hey, Brick, am I still on schedule for my rants?

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote