View Single Post
Old
03-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Why would Markov be Timmins grown? He was drafted under a different scouting era. Also, the team spent years trying to get Emelin over, Gauthier was finally successful in bringing him over.

The whole defense this year (which I admittedly thought would be bad) is entirely Gauthier composed. He didn't let Markov walk despite not playing for 2 years. He re-signed Gorges and brought in Diaz and Emelin.

Much of the success this year has to do with internal players either getting healthy or taking the next step in their development. Kudos to Bergy for not tweaking too much when it could have been the easy thing to do and to instead see how everything plays out.
First, Gauthier was not the one to be credited for being brought over. Believe it or not, it's Mulder, in a casual conversation with the Russian team's doctor, who discovered that Emelin was being told by his Russian agent that Montreal was not truly interested in bringing him over. Then, it triggered everything.

Then, Gorges was aquired by trade by Gainey. Gauthier re-signed him, that being said, Gainey re-signed him multiple times as well before even coming down to that. Plus, signing him to a 6 years contract worth roughly 24M is hardly what I'd consider a very, very clever move.

And I'd say Bergevin tweaked a whole lot of damn things. He brought in Armstrong, Bouillon and Prust. He completely rebuilt the coaching staff and the 2nd floor from top to bottom. He traded Cole for Ryder. And as if it was not enough, he actually was the one who decided to let Galchenyuk and Gallagher a chance to prove their worth by not signing guys like Jagr who would have been a stop-gap solution. Sure he inquired on Doan, but got out of the race fairly quickly too.

Ryder, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Prust, Armstrong and Bouillon, whether we like them all or not, are still 6 roster players. This is almost a third of the current roster that's been brought in following Bergevin's plan.

Gallagher is on pace for a 50 points + season over 82 games
Ryder has 23 points in 27 games this season, 9 in 8 since joining the Canadiens
Galchenyuk has 14 points in 28 games, good for 40 points + over 82 games

Then you've got a guy like Prust who's been used everywhere, a good depth d-man in Bouillon who's been doing better than Gorges for most of the year, and a guy like Armstrong who, even if I don't like him all that much, has been more than decent on the PK.

These are huge moves over what happened last season.

Son Oncle Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote