View Single Post
Old
03-19-2013, 03:56 PM
northvanman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Was talking to a Western guy in Sask. He indicated that UWO "may" put a bid in for the next Championship. I can't see it happening in Halifax due to the B-Ball ( AUS Final 6 )the week before. Only so many corporate dollars to go around and Phil Currie is NOT hockey-centric........
I think it would be another attendance disaster if this was hosted in London. It is a London Knights town and very few hockey fans care about the Mustangs/university hockey - despite the fact that the Mustangs have been a top team in the OUA virtually every year since the early 1980's. They get 200-300 fans per game at Thompson Arena, maybe double that when they play Lakehead. They experimented a few season ago by moving the Mustangs games downtown to the (then named) John Labatt Centre in an effort to pull more of the community into the games - they did get more fans, but it was still under 1,000 in a building that holds a little over 9,000.

I agree with the comments about Toronto not being a great choice either - plus, I don't think you want any of Ryerson, U of T, or York in the tourny based on any of their recent history.

For the OUA to host, Lakehead may be the only practical choice - in addition to a new junior team in North Bay, it is a location that is a pain in the butt to get to for teams that are travelling. Ottawa may be an option, but I have my doubts about the ability to draw there.

northvanman is offline   Reply With Quote