View Single Post
Old
03-19-2013, 05:10 PM
ushvinder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
I have heard and thought about it myself too. Fedorov absolutely had his production hurt by playing with Red Wings in the 90's. They basically did not have the top-dog in that team and everybody was responsible to play both ends of the ice.

Selanne and Kariya were probably the most defensively free players of the 90's after Bure.

How much did his production take a hit, and how much is there merit to the idea that Fedorov was better offensively than his stats show? I find it difficult to rate him due to the stellar overall play and the fact that he did show capability of top offensive forward but never really cashed in the check.
If Fedorov was put in a situation where he was given more ice time to focus on offense, he probably has a few more seasons that resemble his 1996 and 2003 seasons, but the red wings fans want to believe his defensive responsibility hurt him from having jagr-esque offense, which is just ridiculous.

Even in his 1994 season, he was 4th in points per game and benefitted from the fact that so many players were injured that year. Its a great season, but its made out to be the best thing since sliced bread.

The what if game also applies to Selanne's knees, if he stayed healthy he would have continued to crack the top 10 year after year, at the end of the day thats the main job of a forward, to score. I forgot this is hfboards, they hate people who only score, but offensively challenged players that backcheck are loved.

ushvinder is offline   Reply With Quote