Old
08-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
Lets face it, Bonk is a bust.
I disagree. People tend to forget that Gainey traded for him to center the checking line, to replace... Joe Juneau! We needed size up front to check the Eastern conference's big centers in Lindros, Spezza, Sundin, Lecavalier, Thornton (before the trade with San Jose) and Primeau (not knowing he wouldn't be back) just to name a few. Our little forwards simply couldn't handle that task. In Ottawa, Bonk was counted on as a first and second like scoring forward and was playing with highly offensive players.

Secondly, Bonk was bothered with a serious groin pull for most of the first half of the season and kept trying to come back, often too soon and re-agravating the injury. Only in the second half could we see the real Radek Bonk in the role Gainey got him for. He was solid centering the checking line, good on face-offs and great on the PK. Towards the end of the season and in the playoffs, he even started contributing more offensively.

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree that he had a very rough first season with the Canadiens, but I'm far from considering him a bust. I can't wait for this coming season as, like we've seen in the playoffs, many fans will have to admit having been a bit too quick in wanting to pull the trigger on that guy.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote