View Single Post
Old
12-23-2003, 12:46 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

vCash: 500
BS! If you guys want to see the bias and the hypocrisy/manipulation of the Montreal french media in action, where you never know if they are stating facts or insinuations/fiction/commentaries, read the article. I translated it...

----------------------------------
Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - WASHINGTON (CP) -

Koivu isn't thrilled about his new role but does the job.

Saku Koivu isn't thrilled about playing the point during the PP but since Claude Julien tried him on the left side, while moving Sheldon Souray on the right, the Habs PP is on fire: four goals on five occasions against Nashville, one in two in Toronto, and one in five against Pittsburgh, whereas Souray moreover hit the crossbar.

Even though the Finn is not thrilled about his new role, the results are concluding up to now and Koivu himself had four points during his last three games before the one in Washington, including two in PP. His presence allows the left-handed Souray, moved to the right, to have a better angle to unleash his powerful slapshot, and Ribeiro does the job as a center up front, maneuvering like a Wayne Gretzky behind the net. () The presence of the sniper Pierre Dagenais was also beneficial.

As a result, the Habs PP, which was starting to get moving before the changes, went from bottom to 9th spot in the NHL.

Something new

Koivu had never played at the point, a position he's learning.

"I shoot more often, he pointed out, and while keeping the things simple, I try at the same time to feed my teammates and to cycle the puck." Between him and souray notably.

Koivu, who's not known for the power of his shot, is more a point player in the mold of Jean-François Sauvé from the Quebec Nordiques era, whose role consists more in distributing the puck.

When he was asked if he liked to play at the point, Koivu answered: "It is different. That would not be my first choice but it is fun. The vision of the play is not the same."

He'd rather be in Ribeiro's spot. (again, )

Still experimenting

"We'll keep it that way as long as it's working, but we don't know if it's going to last", said Claude Julien after the win against the Penguins. "He (Koivu) is getting used to it, he is a good passor and he helps Sheldon to shoot. And the players up front are also doing a good job"

The coach noticed a general improvement in the play of his captain. Pointing out once again that his knee injury slowed him, Julien mentioned that he was getting back "slowly but surely" to the player who piled up 71 points in 82 games last season. Koivu is even on a PPG pace after getting nothing in his 1st five.

"He can even do better, but he's on the right track", concluded Julien.
-----------------------------------------------

Anybody noticed how those clowns just seem to make stuff up like "He'd rather be in Ribeiro's spot"? Was that him who said that, or the journalist who so generously interpreted for us, so we don't have to use our brains anymore? And it's not the first time those clowns compare little Ribs to Gretzky either. Now after that manipulative crap, tell me why there's all this KOIVU VS RIBEIRO BS going on among fans! The answer lies between the lines of such crappy and biased articles, who just seem to pop up in the french press every god damn week.

And yes I'm blaming the french press for it, bite me! I'm french speaking myself so nobody can accuse me of being some kind of biased racist. I just see clear in those little games they play. I've studied journalism myself and know just too well how often they'll distort slightly the reality to either sell more or in this case, stir things up. It's been known for a while how the media in this town try to run that team. Well you have a microcosm of how its done, right there. Just wait for the reaction to this article, and you'll see yet a few more fans convinced they actually read that Koivu was making some trouble with his new assignment while being jealous of Ribeiro. Mission acomplished RDS...

VIVA LA PROPAGANDA!

edit: typo

Last edited by Munchausen: 12-23-2003 at 12:50 PM.