View Single Post
Old
08-02-2006, 11:53 PM
Magnus Fulgur

vCash: 500
Okay, I'm no skilled whiz kid, but I score a lot of goals despite these shortcomings:

1.) Any goalie worth his salt can stop my slapper
2.) I'm not a clever stick handler
3.) I'm not great on one-on-one battling (but improving)

So, how do I score?
1.) I hit the offensive blueline at breakneck speed, and I don't go wide. I go to the net, and I get there before anyone else...on-sides. I hit the blueline with my teammates, but with much higher acceleration and velocity. It's like being a receiver in football: beat your defender to where the good pass will be, and run a strong pattern. Break away from the pack and hide for a split-second at center ice...and then fly in there! I go straight to the net, because when I get the pass, I can shoot wherever I like: if I go wide, the goalie will just shift and cut down the angle.
2.) Mix it up: I never shoot for the same spot or make the same move on the goalie or defender twice, unless I think that it would mess them up.
3.) Back hand, Back hand, Back hand...while my team mates rev up on their slappers, I'm off on my own going back hand: and I always warm up my goalie with backhands. I'm a former goalie, and a backhander is far harder to stop than a slapshot.
4.) Practice bad-angle shooting. I don't care about trying to blow one past the goalie from the slot when he's already set. I go for the bad shot that hits the top corner while the keeper is moving, but not really believing in your shot. I can go roof on goalies from stupidly bad angles without looking because I know what the angles are from my position. Know these angles better than the goalie knows them, and you'll beat them every time. Remember, the puck isn't released from what your eyes see: it's released from your stick - that determines the angle.
5.) Be a defensively dedicated player. Opposing defenses work harder against the razzle-dazzle skill types, but don't know what to do as much with two-way players. Offense-only guys are predictable, and easier to shut down. Two-way guys are chaotic.
6.) Chaos: one on one with the goalie - do NOT be slick or smooth. They know the moves. Stagger step, be awkward, anything...it's all about selling the goalie a LIE to get him to move.

Last edited by Magnus Fulgur: 08-02-2006 at 11:59 PM.
Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote