View Single Post
Old
03-19-2013, 09:20 PM
Flowah

vCash: 500
Quote:
If he (and Tatar as well) doesn't stick next season, then I'll start to question the (mis)handling of Wings prospects.
The only reason to think that some of them might get a chance next year is because they are no longer waiver eligible. Which means only Nyquist and not Tatar.

But we still have way too many forwards for their inclusion next year to be anything resembling a "sure thing."

1. We have 15 forwards right now. 4 are UFA next year, 1 is RFA.

2. I hope to god we let Cleary go, but who knows, holy crap I'm terrified. But of the other UFAs, I think there's a good chance we resign Brunner and Filppula. We might let Miller go, but if he stays dirt cheap, I don't see why we don't sign him and keep depth. I'd easily take him over a guy like Eaves and Abby.

3. I also think there's a good chance they resign Andersson. He's making a solid case for himself over Emmerton. He plays an obviously bigger game and he's got some skill. Emmerton has improved so much since last year, and I actually don't hate him anymore, but it still seems like he's behind Andersson.

4. Some expect Jarnkrok to make a play for a spot next year in some capacity. Even if we let every UFA/RFA go, that's 10 forwards out of 12 regular spots. And potentially 3 guys fighting for just 2 spots. Remember, that is only in the scenario where we let everyone go. We do not resign Filppula, Brunner, Miller, Andersson. Any of them.

What do you think the likelihood is of Holland letting go Filppula, Brunner, Andersson? Pretty low I think.

Barring some trades and letting everyone go, there's still a chance Tatar doesn't play regularly with the team next year. If I'm Tatar and I don't get a spot next year, I am pissed off. That'll be 3-4 years in the AHL, playing at a high level and producing, being patient, making things happen in my brief callups, and still being kept down just because I'm waiver eligible and they can do what they want to me. Is it a good thing to be pissing off prospects? Making our team worse by not fielding the best team at the same time?

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote