View Single Post
Old
03-19-2013, 10:55 PM
pdd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoipourquoi View Post
I think it's fair game to mention Niedermayer (though after Selanne's 2005-06 without Pronger, I don't think we can give Pronger much offensive credit for Selanne's 2006-07 - even though Pronger was the best player on the team). I just don't see why he said Getzlaf/Perry and not McDonald though (other than a visceral response to the marquee names that they have since become). McDonald was Selanne's center, and he had two really good seasons with Selanne.
McDonald was playing above his skill level and it was plainly obvious. He clicked well with Selanne because he was a swift-skating, playmakerish type. This brought similarity to the Kariya/Selanne combo. Kunitz brought a similar feel to what Rucchin did with the gritty fit, but instead it was McDonald providing the defense.

Getzlaf and Perry were given the chance to take over the team due to Selanne missing the start of the season in 2007-08. McDonald scored 16 points in 33 games before being traded. Selanne would never earn the first line job back. One wonders if Getzlaf/Perry could have happened sooner.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote