View Single Post
Old
03-20-2013, 01:14 AM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I don't know, you seem him jump up when he has an opportunity and knows he won't be burned and he's actually good at it when he does, but he clearly knows his own limitations well and doesn't risk it when he knows he would be at a risk of getting burned.

I'm actually impressed by his all around hockey sense, this is a VERY smart player. His ability to read the play in the D zone is excellent. I know people compare him to Mitchell but I would actually say that Garrison reads the play much better, whereas Mitchell relied on being physical and his long reach a lot more.

Agreed. His IQ is very strong. Even when Hamhuis gets caught flailing about, Garrison is there to cover up. He's also there with a mind to get the play going up ice, which is something Mitchell sometimes lacked.

Mitchell was more 1 on 1 focused. Shutting down his guy was paramount, and in that sense, he was excellent. Garrison is a "full play" Dman where he will sometimes make a "weaker" D play on purpose because he sees the play developing outside of his own assignment. If that makes sense. For example, I saw him near the goal line with the puck and he could have hammered it up the wing, with two Blues closing in on him, but he saw that there was no winger support so he purposefully shoved the puck into the corner and _chose_ to battle two Blues at once. Someone else looking at that play would think "move the puck quicker Garrison", but it was actually a very smart play considering where the support was and what he had time to do.

Last edited by Bleach Clean: 03-20-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote