View Single Post
Old
08-03-2006, 09:50 AM
Hank19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam91 View Post
I'm already an abover average offensive player but what can I do to become an exceptional one? how can I become more "tricky" 1on1? how can I have better offensive awareness? see the ice even better? etc. Are there any drills or visualization I can do to become an exceptional offensive player or is most of it god given??

Thanks for the help,

Adam

There are some great tips here.
The things I've tried are:
Setup a mini obstacle course to stick handle through while keeping your head up. I would do this in my basement when the Wings were on. I would try to pay attention to the game while stick handling through and around cups, bottles and blocks.
I would also practice stick handling while keeping my head up while standing on one leg, alternating every couple of seconds.
This greatly helped my stickhandling on the ice.
I also try to practice my shot by picking corners and shooting over and over again.
When I was a student I had a job in a warehouse by myself preparing orders. There was quite a bit of downtime in between loads so I brought a hockey stick to work and I would practice shooting a roll of packing tape at a skid full of unmade cardboard boxes. The skid was almost regulation net size so it was perfect.
After doing this all summer long I couldn't believe how much better my shot and accuracy was come hockey season. I scored 31 goals in 25 games in the mens beer league I played in. I had never scored that much in my life. My shot has never been that hard but through this practice it became extremely accurate.

Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote