View Single Post
Old
03-20-2013, 08:58 AM
LaGu

vCash: 500
I have a question regarding Paajarvi, and I am not trying to stir anything up despite that I may be nitpicking stats a bit.

Do you think that there is a possibility that he will be traded come April 3? I definitely want him to stay and I think he also wants to remain here but there are some factors that I could "provoke" a trade scenario. Basically these factors are all related but I'll still list them one by one.

1) His place on the depth chart on the current roster. Hall, Eberle, Hemsky and Yakupov are ahead of him and despite him getting to see more ice time right now I think that once these players take off (some already have) he will be a 3rd liner and probably not have the same quality of players surrounding him as he does right now.

2) Salary: I guess he needs to be signed to a contract this year if we are to keep him. If (and that's a big if) he is able to keep up the scoring pace he has been on over the last 15 games (0.4 GPG) I think it might be difficult to sign him for the sums I have heard being thrown around (1.5-2.5 mil). This is tricky though since even if he does manage to keep it up he will still not have a full season under his belt playing like he does right now. I am thinking a bit of Loui Eriksson who had two "meh" seasons split between AHL and NHL after which he managed to break out as a good two-way forward in his third year (0.43 GPG). But his GPG was over 82 games so of course there is a difference there, he got a 4.25 mil/year over 6 years contract.

3) His career: If his agent, or PRV himself, thinks that he is able to keep up this kind of goal scoring pace I bet that at least his agent will be pushing for him to be playing on a 2nd line. Again this would most lightly mean that he needs to change teams.

It may be that my reasoning in this matter is wrong, but I bring it up since it's been on my mind for the last couple of weeks.

I haven't even considered what a possible return might be for PRV in a trade but I guess that since he's young and starting to show potential in more than just defense it might be enough to get veteran 3rd liner(?).