View Single Post
Old
03-20-2013, 09:21 AM
Petey Pucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
The only thing I remember or care about from this game was Gretzky giving Messier a Big F-U with the Hat Trick.

Still bothers me that Messier ran off for the money.

In that regards, F Messier.
messier "claimed" it wasn't about the money and more a matter of principle and lack of respect from the rangers organization in what they were offering. messier in the season before(1996/1997) in 71 games played scored 36 goals 48 assists for a total of 84 points in 71 games with a + 12

messier held the position that he should have been offered what other players of his calibre were being offered and that after everything he had done for the organization the rangers offer was a slap in the face

Dave Checketts believed Messier at his age wasn't worth a 20 million 3 year contract. Messier maintained that he would have signed a one-year contract extension for under $6 million per season, though many believe this is false and Messier was only saying this to keep fan sentiment on his side. Also remember this is the pre low salary cap era(1997) where the Rangers had the money to burn with no fear of the consequences. Alot of fans were saying "pay the man" but after the two sides were getting more and more bitter Neil Smith was content with having Gretzky and Pat LaFontaine as our top two centermen. Smith also thought the Joe Sakic deal was in the bag until the Avs came up with more money and that fell through

Messier later signed to a high-priced free agent contract with the Nucks so you be the judge?

I still say he left us....

Shanahan at the age of 37 was coming off a great year with the Red Wings with 40 goals and 81 points....he was content with signing a one year 4 million deal almost ten years later with inflation to take into consideration?

Petey Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote