Thread: Speculation: Trade Proposals and Rumors Thread
View Single Post
Old
03-20-2013, 11:22 AM
The Hendog

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I wouldn't trade Jbow. That would turn us into a rebuilding team for 10 years. If the Oilers and Islanders taught us anything, you need legit defenders to keep you afloat
We are essentially a team that should be rebuilding now with Jbow
3 years without a playoff appearance and currently sitting 2nd last in the West with only a miracle run hope of making the playoffs; aka 4 straight years without a playoff appearance.

And how do you figure 10 years? We could lose Jbow for nothing after the end of next season if he were to leave as a free agent - that would set us back more in a rebuild than would trading Jbow when his value is at its highest.

And it is not like the Oilers & Islanders haven't tried to address there D through the draft (Klefbom, Musil, Reinhart) its just that defenceman take longer to develop and become effective in the NHL compared to forwards (Eberle, Hall, Taveres etc). Both the Oilers and Islanders have a more exciting and prosperous looking future in my opinion as compared to the Flames because of the drafting and its time the Flames built through the draft more and be more patient.

And I think the Flames drafting has already started to improve based on the potential & success so far of players like Brodie, Sven, Gaudrea, Reinheart etc. we just need to continue this trend and things will hopefully improve in the future. And if you can speed up this process by getting more picks & prospects in exchange for assets now that aren't taking the team to the promised land then all the better in my opinion.