View Single Post
03-20-2013, 01:57 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by the1jasontaylor View Post
Good catch, that shows the risks of relying on Wikipedia for quick fact-checking. I looked again, and you're right: the Sabres were beaten by Montreal in the second round. I've corrected that in my article.

This one was strictly a typo; thanks for pointing it out. Corrected. No matter how heart-and-soul a player may be, the most successful NHL teams are the ones that acquire assets at low points and trade them away before their value diminishes. Williams' value had peaked, while Vaive was barely getting started (never mind Derlago). Trading Tiger Williams set off a huge chain of trades that impacted the Leafs for 20+ years: Williams - Vaive - Olczyk - Ellett - McCauley/Smith/Sullivan. Meanwhile, Williams was dealt for Rob McLanahan, and the trade became a dead-end for Vancouver within a few years. Never mind the fact that Vaive scored 50+ goals three times; the only players to do that for Vancouver were Bure (3x) and Mogilny (1x). And it is the same with Clark, no matter how much heart he provided, he couldn't drive the team to greater levels of success. Sundin WAS the core of the Leafs for nearly 15 years, and got them to the conference finals twice. Tough trades to swallow as a fan, but 100% worth it.

I completely get your point about the Gilmour trade. It was lopsided, and gave the Leafs two key components (Gilmour and Macoun) at virtually no cost while turning the franchise from a laughing stock into a legitimate playoff threat. But I still feel Gilmour's impact was just too short-lived to put that deal above the Sundin trade. And I WISH the Leafs had held on to Parent; you put him in net for the '78 Leafs instead of Palmateer and that team MIGHT have been good enough to beat the Canadiens and Bruins that year.
Sundin has the points on paper but players like that don't have the will to win. Similar to a Joe Thornton or Pierre Turgeon. Can't build a cup winning team around them. The early '90s Leafs were a Cup contender, only a blown Kerry Fraser call on Gretzky from a cup. After they traded their heart never came close

BrimStone64 is online now   Reply With Quote