View Single Post
Old
03-20-2013, 03:03 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primakov! View Post
A rental at a cheap price (preferably one on an expiring contract) is exactly what I was advocating. Somebody that has played some games so that they're not a fresh faced rookie, but is someone that wouldn't necessarily make you think twice if you scratched them as a 7th or 8th defenseman.

Right now the team has Martinez, Ellerby, and Drewiske playing musical chairs with the 5th and 6th pairings on defense with nobody out of that group really securing an everyday spot in the lineup with distinguished play. Because of a combination of injuries and inconsistencies they're all rather interchangeable at this point, which I don't bring up as a negative point.

As depth players there's not much variance in level of play among the three so whether one is inserted over the other doesn't noticeably impact the on-ice product. I'm sure you can agree that there are some depth players out there where it's obvious that they're a step behind the action and are a clear downgrade from the guy they are replacing and that's not the case here with those three.

Looking at experience you've got the following:

Martinez = 161 NHL games
Ellerby = 146 NHL games
Drewiske = 126 NHL games

Some players I did a quick look up on would be guys like this:

Kurtis Foster - 398 NHL games, age 31, $950,000 this season, UFA at end of season
Derek Meech - 136 NHL games, age 28, $700,000 this season, UFA at end of season
Chris Butler - 254 NHL games, age 26, $1,250,000 this season, RFA at end of season

None of them are world beaters, but they all have some game experience under their belts and shouldn't cost a boat load in terms of resources to acquire. They're all signed until the end of the season and the team can cut them loose after the playoffs if they so desire since they're intended to be a temporary insurance policy for the stretch run.
I see where you are coming from but disagree entirely with adding Martinez in with those D who have yet to establish themselves with distinguished play. A Mart is dead solid and while it took him a couple of games to get things back in shape after his injury (surprising that it only took a couple of games really) he is back on track and again playing like he could be a second pairing D man at times.

IF we don't get Greener or WM back this season or if one of them go down then I have to believe that we are sort of stuck with what we have. Adding another player to the mix would mean that we would have to do something with at least one of our players.

Doughty
Martinez
Scuderi
Muzzin
Ellerby
Voynov
Drewiskie
Greene
(WM if he makes it back)
Additional player.

The only real way to add a D man at this point is to move one of our current D.

We sit at 9 D right now when healthy. We could waive DavisD (though I don't think DL would do that) but then none of the players you listed as an example are really an upgrade over him. We have to carry Ellerby (he can't be sent down) and while Muzzin can be sent down I think he has established himself (so do you) as a keeper so I wouldn't do that to make room for another D either.

WM is either on his way back to us and will be here soon or is out possibly forever. I believe that he will be here before the end of the season but if he isn't that will still leave us with 8 D when Greene comes back. Either way we are carrying his contract so that is something to consider as well.

I wonder what we are going to do when Greene comes back as things sit today. I wouldn't deal any of our current D for a low grade rental nor would I risk losing DavisD to waivers for one.

The only thing I could see us doing would be to move one of the young D currently on our roster for an established SAH gritty Vet that we planned to keep long term. The only way I could see DL doing that is if he believed (or knew) that WM wasn't coming back.

I agree that it would be idillic for us to be able to have another more established D to rely on but in this case it comes down to what it would cost us to do so and I don't think that making a move for a low end rental would be worth the price all things considered.