03-20-2013, 03:12 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Golden Rolo Nominee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskothek View Post
Potential build:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $670.90
Lots of great bang for the buck type parts in that build. One thing you might consider is getting a slightly higher end motherboard though. If you think you might upgrade it down the line, a higher end motherboard could potentially get better support for new CPU's that come out.

And since it's related to Frankie's question....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
I'm just curious, I'm looking at a high end build at the end of this year and was wondering about the memory. How important is the memory speed on it? I see 16GB at 1833Mhz for about $110.
Memory scaling is different between AMD and Intel. On Intel systems it really doesn't make much difference past 1600mhz in practical terms.

AMD systems are a little different. The mainline FX CPU's like the 4300 and the 8350 seem to get slightly bigger boosts from faster RAM, but it's still pretty negligible past 1866.

The APU's however scale like crazy with fast RAM. This may not look like much, but 20% performance out of memory is quite substantial compared to other platforms.

Quote:
Then I see the 2400Mhz version for about $150. 2800Mhz gets ridiculously priced. Is it really worth the extra money when I'm primarily using the machine for gaming or is it something used for marketing purposes to try to get more money out of you. Also, 16GB should be more than enough for anything gaming related right? I don't do much with demanding software outside of gaming and my current 8GB seems to do just fine. I was looking at 2 8GB sticks so I have the option to go to 32GB if I wanted to.
Most boards don't even support those speeds without overclocking. Once you hit 2133 you are mostly spinning your wheels. The sweet spot IMO is 1866. Usually a negligible price difference and fast enough to be worth it.

8GB is more than enough right now. I doubt that 16GB will be required for a long while yet too. Just watch the utilization in windows and see how much games take. Even the most demanding ones don't go very high.

Quote:
Also, sticking to the memory theme, how important is memory on a video card? GTX 680s for example only cost about $50-100 more for a jump from 2GB to 4GB.
At very high resolutions it can make a difference. 1080p 2GB is enough right now. Though if 4GB is not much more I'd just get it. I can make Crysis 3 take up 1.8 GB out of 3GB on my 7950. So the days of 2GB being a little short are not that far off.

Now if you are buying a budget card, most times the extra memory isn't helpful. Because the GPU's are too slow to take advantage of it anyway.