View Single Post
Old
03-20-2013, 04:38 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanuri View Post
I would not take Marleau because of the cap hit. 6,9M in a year with the cap going down. Not to mention any trade in division will cost more. It's bad enough looking like you are on the wrong end of a deal to your fan base but in division it's worse.
Great player, can't argue the fit but the money is not really there next year.
I'd liken it to the Ducks trading Selanne to the Sharks. If the Sharks approached Marleau about a trade and he had a say in where he wants to go, I think LA would be on top of his list mainly due to the relationship he had in the past with Dean Lombardi and Darryl Sutter in San Jose, and it isn't far from proximity to where he's living now.

As for the money, it could work if Penner doesn't return and the Kings let Scuderi walk. But then they have a hole to fill on their blueline, even if Mitchell and Greene return. I know some think Muzzin is ready to be a regular in the lineup, but he's not the same type of defenseman as Scuderi is. I liken Muzzin more to how Quincey plays the game, a dman with decent size and decent puck skills but somewhat shaky in his own end.

Back to Marleau, I think it would take a decent package to get him to move to a division rival, but I do think there is a fit with him and the Kings. Remember the rumor of Marleau to the Kings years back? I think the names involved from the Kings were Alex Frolov and Jarret Stoll. This was around the time when Heatley was rumored to be going to San Jose and the Kings were said to have been on the verge of acquiring Marleau in a three-team trade involving the Kings, Sharks, and Senators.
http://www.aolnews.com/2009/09/11/ma...-trade-report/