View Single Post
Old
08-03-2006, 05:16 PM
svetovy poharu

vCash: 500
Hello Jukka,

The Great Britain team only played one game at the 1930 WC because of severe weather delays in Chamonix. The WC's were to have begin on January 27 using the pool system (adopted at the 1928 Olympic hockey championship) but there were unfavourable ice conditions at that time, resulting in play not beginning until January 31 and then the IIHF had to abandon the pool system in favour of the ordinary knock-out method. Germany defeated Great Britain 4-2, with GBR getting goals from WJ Home (unassisted) in the first period and RD Mulholland scored the other GBR goal (assisted by Eric Carruthers). Here's a brief recount of the game:

Great Britain played brilliantly in the first period, but weakened in the succeeding periods, when their captain, W. Home, sustained an injury to his ankle. This was particularly unfortunate, as there was only one substitute player available. Home was easily their outstanding player. Home opened the scoring and Mulholland obtained the second goal from a good pass by Carruthers. Sexton was excellent in general scoring attacks, but he frittered away opportunities by hanging on to the puck too long when his linemates were in good scoring position. Germany's last two goals came in the last few minutes of the game when the British goalie was blinded by the strong sunshine.

Great Britain did play an exhibition match the next day on February 1 at Chamonix against Canada (Toronto Canadas), losing to the Canadians 6-0. GBR, who could not ice a full team for this game, played with two borrowed Canadian players -- Watson and Hutchinson. Canada got goals from Park (2), Armstrong (2), Armstrong (1), Clayton Grant (1), and Adams (1). Speechley in the British nets gave a fine performance despite the decisive defeat.

As for the 1910 and 1913 European championships, I have the Bohemia (Czechoslovakia) goal scorers for the 1913 EC at Munich, Germany:

25.1.1913 -- Bohemia 4:4 Belgium (0:1, 4:3)
Bohemia goals: Jirkovsky (3), Palous

26.1.1913 -- Bohemia 4:2 Germany (2:2, 2:2)
Bohemia goals: Vindys (3), Jirkovsky

27.1.1913 -- Bohemia 7:0 Austria (2:0, 5:0)
Bohemia goals: Jirkovsky (2), J. Jarkovsky (2), Sroubek (2), Vindys

I have a lengthy story account of the 1910 European Championship at Les Avants from the Times of London but unfortunately does not mention individual goal scorers.
If you would like me to send you the article, please let me know and I will PM it to you. Allright, Jukka, hope this is helpful for your files.

svetovy poharu is offline   Reply With Quote