View Single Post
Old
03-20-2013, 05:38 PM
pdd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
It's not quite as B&W. Datsyuk scored some monstrous clutch goals, such as the one against SJ in the losing effort. As for defense... let's just agree to disagree. Datsyuk is a better defensive player than Feds was, albeit not by much.
I think Dats is an excellent defensive player... but what separates them for me is that Fedorov was like a combination of Zetterberg and Datsyuk when it came to defense. He could play Datsyuk's preventative defensive game at an absolutely elite level, but he could also shift gears and become a man-on-man shadow like Zetterberg. And with his speed, he was able to make some defensive plays that few in the league could perform; such as being able to easily chase down a player on a breakaway. With the danger of using Youtube, here's an example:

Quote:
Dats is also a better stickhandler.
I didn't claim he wasn't.

Quote:
Again, it's not as clear cut. Datsyuk lead the team in hits on numerous occasions. Unlike Fedorov.
When was this exactly? Also... nhl.com doesn't have hit stats for 2003-04... but based on hit stats from other years, it's entirely possible Fedorov DID lead the Ducks in hits. In 02-03, Ozolinsh and Vishnevski tied for the team lead with 61 hits; in 05-06, Fedorov had 43 in 67, which projects to just under 60 in a full season like the one Fedorov played in 03-04. He had a similar pace the next two years and then hit a little bit less in 08-09, after he had suffered through a couple years of constant injuries. Ozolinsh only played 36 games in 03-04, Vishnevski missed 9. But the more likely bet for the Ducks' hit leader in 03-04 is a rookie Chris Kunitz.

It still doesn't make Datsyuk lead the Wings in hits, and he wasn't that close in any recorded year I can see.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote