View Single Post
Old
03-20-2013, 07:03 PM
SeattleSharksFan
Hockey Autograph Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjevtwa View Post
The only major hockey facility I found in Bellingham is the Bellingham Sportsplex, which is home to the Bellingham Blazers (NORPAC Tier III Junior A) and the Western Washington (Univ.) Vikings (Club program).

The Bellingham Sportsplex website does not have seating information. However, one page from the Blazers web site indicates that there are not that many seats. An article from the team's recent playoff game indicated that there were over 500 people in attendance.
The Bellingham Sportsplex is more of a recreational rink for youth and amateur hockey, and has no actual arena seating. It's similar to the Olympic View Arena, Kingsgate, etc. That works fine for Tier III Junior A leagues, but definitely not the WHL.

Someone mentioned Wenatchee, which would be interesting. I'm not sure how their attendance has been, but if their move to the BCHL works out well, they could become a WHL candidate. (Any Central WA-based fans, please chime in )

Regarding what the Northwest is, I've always considered the PNW to be the following:
- Western Washington and Western Oregon (a.k.a. Cascadia). Everything from the Cascades to the coast in these two states, from the Canadian border down to Eugene.
- The Inland Northwest: Central and Eastern Washington, the Idaho Panhandle, and western Montana (Missoula, Kalispell/Flathead Valley and westward). This area is fused together economically.
- Eastern Oregon and the rest of Idaho (Boise, etc) are gray areas. Eastern Montana and Eastern Idaho definitely feel more Midwest/Rocky Mountain.