View Single Post
Old
03-20-2013, 10:34 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1 View Post
Thanks for the answer, 701.
That basically answered what I wanted to know.

Just curious, but do you think your education gives you a leg up on other people?
I always wonder about that.
I do know a guy from an Ivy League school, but he works at a place where everyone has a degree or 2 from an Ivy League School or 2.

Now, onto a more serious question, about your last statement...
Is that really true?
I always watch Red Sox playoff games because their fans are just so much prettier...
But then I watched Ted and he said that Boston women are, "on the whole, a paler, uglier sort than women from the elsewheres of life."
Now I am confused...
To answer your more serious question first: like hockey talent, great girls are where you find them. The Canucks didn't think a Slovenian was worth a first pick, so they became bridesmaids to the Stanley Cup.

Also, bear in mind that Greater Boston had around 30 institutions of higher learning in my day, and a majority of those students, like Harvard students, came from elsewhere. The charms of Boston do not necessarily lie in the Bostonians.

As for your other question, in the States, for example in Manhattan where I lived, the Harvard mystique was strong and sometimes embarrassing. I knew not to mention it---but it's no use, because in that East Coast academic society you get asked where you went to school all the time. It's kind of a golden handshake. So in a social or employment sense, yes, it makes a difference.

Then I abruptly moved to Yellowknife, and spent six years in a skid shack on the shores of Great Slave Lake. Neither I nor anyone else gave a rat's ass where I went to school. Being big and strong was much more useful. Playing protection-free, full-contact hockey on the lake while ripped on weed and Kahlua was my idea of heaven. Also I learned to respect and value the thousand things a Dog Rib Dene knew that I didn't. In the bar of the Strange Range Hotel my studies of Serbo-Croatian Heroic Poetry or The Surface Anatomy of the Adult Male Mountain Gorilla didn't cut any ice.

So a "leg up" on others? I learned not to think that way. None of my friends went to Harvard. My wife is a psychiatrist who went to U of T and is a remarkable athlete . . . so much for the leg up on her, so to speak