View Single Post
Old
03-21-2013, 02:55 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid49 View Post
I'm sure you have working eyes, you can tell that his last ten games or so have been below average, throw away all of the stats, its his body. He's not use to this travel and playing 23 minutes a night in the NHL. If you wanna tell me that you didn't see top pairing potential all over this guy in the first 20 games I don't know what you were watching.
I watched every game, here's what i saw

-ridiculous PP ability - amongst the most productive PP defensemen in the league, amazing to see in a rookie. Suggests elite-level PP production in his future (McCabe, Kaberle, etc)

-below-average, near BAD, ES transition and defensive play. Fair because he was in a 2nd pairing role. Playing above where he should

Justin Schultz isn't a defenseman to lead a break-out right now, I hope I'm not the only one who's noticed this. His break-out ability is quite limited. Not a confident break-out skater like Kindl is in Detroit, nor a confident break-out passer like a young Poti was. That part of his game is yet to mature.

And like I said in my earlier post - it's hard to predict with young defensemen if they ever "figure" this part of their game out. All you can do is hope, and that's what I postulated. IF Schultz can develop decent break-out ability and defensive zone play in a top-4 role he could be a Tomas Kaberle.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote