View Single Post
Old
03-21-2013, 04:58 AM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

vCash: 50
here's a little story.
Lokomotiv had a special roster this year. it was half youngsters, other role players and over-the-hill vets (doesn't it remind you some other team from across the pond?). that's though no wonder if you remember the circumstances it was assembled under. they struggled to pull themselves together until lockout began and they got that god blessing in free trial of Semyon Varlamov. his unrivaled level of confidence and constant insane level of play did wonders for the team, for example Lokomotiv beat the feared CSKA with Radulov, Datsyuk and quite a handful of NHL-level talent, beat twice in a row, first time coming back from 0-2, second blowing them apart with a shutout, and this kind of little things from Varly all the way.
then lockout ended, and we ended with Curtis Sanford, who is a serviceable goalie but absolutely human. team immediately started going into funny places, blowing leads, even had a copycat of that LA disaster when we managed to eke out a loss in dying moments of what looked already an OT game. with Varlamov in net there were two games that went in our favor that way.
it all ended in a first round loss to an already inferior team that was additionally injury-depleted; they had though an arguably 2nd best goalie in the league. Sanford was letting in just one extra goal every game, while Lokomotiv outshot and outchanced the opposition. Series was lost 2-4, and 5 games out of 6 were one-goal games. i ain't mad because i didn't expect daily wonders from basically an expansion draft team; but there was a couple months long period of wonders and i liked the taste of it.
Dubnyk is basically a Sanford. he is a nice guy, but he can't backstop a team that needs wonders every now and then. since there is little chance of an overhaul which could mutate Oilers' roster to the point when it could win despite average goaltending, like 2010 Blackhawks, i think we should shop for a real netminder, an established one. this could do wonders for this kind of a team, and i speak from experience.

TL;DR variant:
i saw a talented and self-confident 'tender in Varlamov helping a young team with questionable roster win games at a rate nobody expected. i want Oilers to buy them a Varlamov.

Comrade Blunderbore is offline   Reply With Quote