View Single Post
Old
03-21-2013, 07:53 AM
CharlieGirl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I have to say I kind of agree with the thinking that Canadian born players are given a pass on unprofessional/classless behavior more so than European or even American born players are.

I think of some of the stuff Blake, Smyth, Fuhr pulled here. Plus people in other places like Shanahan, Peca, Kariya and Carter.

These guys for the most part get free passes, and then you have people constantly ripping Yashin and Semin. Not saying they don't deserve it, but it doesn't seem like it's a two way street.
There is a definite slant in the Canadian media in their thinking when it comes to Canadian vs European players (and no, I'm not referring to Don Cherry, who is a buffoon). I don't know if that's as much a Canada vs the world as it is a North America vs the world. Having said that, there were numerous mentions about Brown being the 2nd American captain to raise the Cup, so you may be right.

I think (hope?) most fans care little about the nationality of their team, but the media definitely has a take on it.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote