View Single Post
Old
08-04-2006, 09:09 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
The Devils unless they can pull the ol' rabbit out of the hat are probably going to lose at least one key player and maybe two. If it's someone like Rafalski that is going to hurt their pwp a lot. How good the Devils are overall might have a lot to do with how a Parise emerges this year or a Bergfors/Zajac/Greene fit in and play. I wouldn't count them out that's for sure although Lou certainly hasn't helped himself or his team by controling player costs.

The Flyers themselves seem to have some cap problems too. The only one of that list of 7 they have to bring back is Gagne. Desjardins maybe. I'm not sure I like their defense or their goaltending very much. Forsberg is injury prone and Primeau is in Eric Lindros territory if not worse. Between them and the Devils I think New Jersey even with all the cap antics are the ones I'd worry more about.

As for the Islanders they have some good players some of whom are classic underachievers. Yashin is an albatross. I've never been a big fan of Satan who if he isn't scoring isn't really doing anything. Blake and Asham and York are good guys. This Campoli had a very good rookie year. Bringing in Witt gives their defense a real edge although he's never been able to really control his temper. Zhitnik can be solid. A question for them concerns DiPietro who has never been consistent enough to prove he's a real No. 1. He's still young but he needs to do more--or in the case of sometimes more being less--as in stop trying to be Martin Brodeur with the puck--so much. As far as their management goes--the Snow thing is out of left field--I don't see it being anything but a disaster but who knows--strange things can happen.

and lastly to Pittsburgh. Crosby and Malkin---Fleury, Whitney, Staal all their players are so young but if these guys all grow together to expectations they will someday be a powerhouse. It seems likely right now that they'll have another top 5 pick next season. I've never really liked the Pens at all but they seem to be a team to look out for in the not so distant future.

I agree with your post. Need to see how Lamoriello clears up the cap problems and the emergence of Parise and possibly several other young players as well as Marty will determine how good the Devils will be.

As for the Rangers, I like the moves they made and if Jagar, Prucha and Lundqvist come close to last year's performances, they will have another excellent season.

I never count out the Flyers. They have a great young core of forwards, although I agree that they have questions on defense and in goal.

Not sure about the Islanders, they can go either way and I see Pittsburgh improving, hopefully where they don't receive another top five pick.

It should be the Devils, Rangers and Flyers fighting it out again.

Last edited by Brooklyndevil: 08-04-2006 at 10:42 AM.
Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote