Thread: Speculation: 2013 NHL Entry Draft
View Single Post
Old
03-21-2013, 10:57 AM
pantherbot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Conjecture. Unless you have definitive word of his intentions, it isn't a concern to me.

Nichushkin wasn't alive when the Soviet Union existed. Are you merely mentioning it to flex your historical knowledge? High end Russian players come to the NHL. Radulov being the only exception. It's such an overblown concept. The bigger issue is flight risk, if they're not an elite talent, and you don't know how to develop a suitable environment ; see Columbus.

He's 17. NHL careers don't end at 20. It's not a concern, unless you know he wants to stay in Russia past that. Tarasenko fell for the same reasons. Big mistake. Kuznetsov remains in Russia largely because of Sochi.

There should be no issue with Russian players remaining at home during their teenage years to develop. I actually prefer it, long-term.
I mention the former soviet union countries because they are more likely to play in the KHL than players from other countries.

I'm glad you mentioned Columbus because I was about to point out Filatov. Whether the player is a risk for not wanting to come here, or want to go home in a few years, it's a risk, I don't know why you refuse to acknowledge it.

If you had two prospects, with the same skill set and talent level, but the only difference being one was from North America and the other from Russia. Which do you choose?