Thread: Speculation: 2013 NHL Entry Draft
View Single Post
Old
03-21-2013, 11:26 AM
pantherbot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
It's like me mentioning that i once went to primary school when discussing my qualifications in a job interview. Brilliant? Nichushkin is Russian and plays domestically for now. Why your mentioning the Soviet Union i don't know.

Filatov came to the AHL at 18. He then re-tried the AHL again. He's had two seperate NHL organisations, played for both at the AHL and NHL level. He failed with both. Filatov is now in the KHL, where he is not exactly one of the better players in the league. Filatov failed as a prospect because he was weak, immature and was handled poorly by Columbus. The AHL at 18 wasn't a good idea. Filatov himself must take much of the blame too. He didn't fail because he was Russian. He isn't an example of the Russian factor since he came over, twice. He isn't refined enough or good enough within his particular skill-set to be an NHL player. Simple as.

There is no other risk to acknowledge. If a Russian player is good enough, and handled well, he isn't a risk. In all honesty, this is the same with most prospects. The Russian factor only really applies to older less talented prospects (or young prospects who rush themselves over to NA via peer pressure from the NHL) who can make more capital at home rather than riding the AHL bus. If that's Nichushkin ... well it will be a bad pick, and not because he is Russian.

This is like saying if i fell in love with two identical twins, but one was a marginally better cook, wasn't afraid of Pidgeons, and didn't like Cheese, i'd choose her. Nichushkin has an entirely different skill-set to any other player in this draft. So your analogy doesn't work. No player combines the speed and physical power that he has. Of course, he has his cons, and other prospects excell better in other areas.

If both players did in this idealistic world have the same talent and abilities, i'd probably take the player who i prefered character wise, the player who interviewed better.
Where a player comes from makes a difference whether you want to believe it or not. There is a comfort level with playing at "home" and anyone, not just hockey players, are more likely to take a job close to their home. And I actually did take a job specifically for that reason a couple years ago, so I could go home, and yes I did mention it in my interview. So it does matter.

I agree that Filatov in the end was a poor prospect, but the his contract with the KHL was an additional headache. He also did not want to play in the AHL and went back to the KHL. You think a North American prospect will do that? I don't think so.

You still didn't answer my question. I'm asking the question, not because you would ever have an identical player, but because it helps to frame the question with respect to the Russian factor and parse out whether you would consider if there is any risk at all.

So, all things being equal (talent, skill, and character), would you choose a North American or Russian prospect?