View Single Post
Old
03-21-2013, 12:27 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Going back to Hishon, there was a rumour that another team in the 20s was going to select him. I think the Avs should've moved back in the early 20s to select Hishon and possibly get another pick, but I don't think the Avs thought it was worth moving back 2-4 spots and getting a 5th or 6th round and the possibility of him getting drafted before they picked.
Agreed, I would believe that the Avs brass thought it more wise to select him before a team grabbed him in the 20's.

I'm reading "Moneyball" right now and there's an interesting part of the book that deals w/ Billy Beane, GM of the Oakland A's talking w/ various managers before the MLB Draft, about who they're taking, and apparently it's a common thing in MLB to have happen, so I wouldn't put it out of the question for it to happen in other league's as well, for GM's to sort of communicate/indicate who they would most likely take.

If the Avs believed that Hishon wouldn't be there later, then I see no problem w/ taking him if they believed that he's the BPA at the time of their selection.

Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes, they call me on and on across the universe - The Beatles