Thread: Speculation: 2013 NHL Entry Draft
View Single Post
Old
03-21-2013, 01:14 PM
pantherbot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Is your job in the NHL. Is your job worth millions of dollars. Is your job something you likely grew up dreaming? Is your employer as powerful as the NHL?

Yes, Russians will sometimes want to stay at home, which is fine and natural. But high end Russian players who are offered big money, little to no AHL time, nearly always come to North America. I've yet to see this salient fact challenged. No clue how Nichushkin feels, hence interviews etc are important, but the trends are obvious.
No need to get snarky. I only mentioned my own situation as an example. Hockey players may be making millions and playing a game for money, but that doesn't mean they won't want to do it where they are comfortable. The KHL can offer the same amount of money as the NHL.

I don't know how Nichushkin feels either, but at this point and as far as we all know, he has made no actions that would indicate that he wants to come to North America, which is why some people are concerned. I'm not saying that he is for certain staying in Russia, and he may very well be planning to come over. All I am saying is that at this time it is reasonable to consider it as a risk, however small.

Quote:
He came over at 18. The AHL isn't a good place for young Russian prospect IMO, but that remains a different discussion. He came over, struggled, went home, struggled, came back, struggled, went home, is struggling.
The AHL may not be a good place for a Russian prospect, but it is a good place to learn the North American game. If a Russian player refuses to play in the AHL, then that to me is a negative. The fact that Filatov did not have to stick with playing it out in the AHL because he had the KHL as a fallback option is exactly my point. There is flight risk, because there are other options for them.

Quote:
I answered your question, you simply have chosen to assume i have not.

If your question is, the EXACT same player, i'm taking the personality i prefer. If they are EXACTLY the same in that regard, and it's a + in that regard, then i decide based on style, since Russian players can join the AHL, which CHL players cannot. Hence .. this question is pointless, because there are so many things to factor in.
The question is not pointless because teams do have to evaluate all aspects when selecting a prospect. Whether or not a prospect may not even play for them IS something that needs to be evaluated. Whether this means figuring out if a player may not come to North America or whether a play just abhors your team, you have to figure it into the equation.

I actually think the Russian risk has generally been overblown, but to simply disregard it and not factor it into our drafting decisions is simply negligent.