Thread: Confirmed with Link: Brandon Prust to Montreal [4 years, $10M]
View Single Post
Old
03-21-2013, 01:37 PM
PricePkPatch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
I don't think anyone would say that the team is better off without Prust, but I feel that as fans we put far too much emphasis on the rah rah grit and toughnessv stuff and not having Prust. If the difference between winning and losing for our team is having or not having Prust in the lineup, there's far bigger problems with the team than a bit of a lack of grit. I love what Prust does and he's been fantastic this year, but the reality is he's a bottom 6 guy (albeit a very good one), and shouldn't be a core reason for us winning or losing games. The lack of Ryder, Bourque, or Diaz is likely more of a problem than the lack of Prust.
If you conceive your bottom 6 as a whole to be nothing more than just top-6 player lacking skill, you'd be right.

If you conceive your bottom 6 as role players in your team, meant to achieve something specific that your top-6 CANNOT or SHOULD NOT, which I believe is the case with this year's Habs, then you are wrong. Prust is our greatest role-player, and this role really helps our entire team perform with more edge.

We have been able to keep winning without him; that proves we have skill. But these victories haven't been pretty like other victories we've had in the past (even when missing Diaz and Bourque!). Prust doesn't change the scoreboard, he changes how our team look on the ice. And that is what's gonna make a big difference in the long term.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote