View Single Post
Old
03-21-2013, 02:57 PM
XX
Tippett 2 the Limit

vCash: 500
I'll do mine a little different. This is just performance based.

In order of importance (left is better)

Keep: Ekman-Larsson, Boedker, Hanzal, Schlemko, Stone, Morris, Gordon, Chipchura, Bissonnette, Summers

Don't Care/Trade If Possible: Vrbata, Vermette, Yandle, Klesla, Torres, Doan, Michalek, Korpikoski, Johnson

Get Rid Of: Lombardi, LaBarbera, Moss, Smith, Sullivan

When you separate guys out like that, it's really not hard to see where this team went wrong. You can't have wasted seasons from key guys. A terrible season from a starting goaltender, an underwhelming season from your top scoring D and important ancillary players coasting; a recipe for a top 10 pick. If this team had the option to convert every player not in the 'keep' section to roughly equivalent trade value, I'd do it in a heartbeat. If you trade Doan and Yandle, you may as well just strip the bones bare and try to rebuild the roster younger and more complete. That doesn't mean tank for 5 straight seasons like the Penguins or Oilers. It means making some smart trades and signings, while keeping the heart beating. The team has basically skated by on the contributions from free agents and streaky scorers like Vrbata. That's not really sustainable. This is the first transformative offseason for this franchise since Tippett and Maloney came along. Sadly, they may not even be under contract to help see it through.

A whole lot of change ahead for what was once one of the best post-lockout budget teams ever assembled.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote